Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Frequency resolution of CORDIC algorithm

From: Matt Ettus
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Frequency resolution of CORDIC algorithm
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 09:09:49 -0700

Trond Danielsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> after having read several papers on the subject, I am still not able
> to find the answer I am looking for. I wonder how to calculate the
> frequency resolution of the CORDIC algorithm. In an earlier post to
> this mailing list it was stated that the resolution is approximately
> 0.01 Hz. Could anyone point me to where I can find a deviation of this
> result?

The CORDIC deals with phase, not frequency, so there is no concept of
frequency resolution for it.  The one being used in the USRP has 14 bits
of PHASE resolution.

Frequency resolution is controlled by the NCO, or phase accumulator.  In
our case it has 32 bits of resolution.  64 MHz/2^32 is your frequency
resolution in Hz.

Matt