Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Scope hangs

From: Don Ward
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Scope hangs
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 16:07:57 -0500

"Walker, Robert CIV NSWC Crane, WC NAE Staff" wrote:<address@hidden>

I tried Tommi Rouvali's mod to audio_fft.py with the throttle added as
suggested by Johnathan Corgan but my CPU usage still went to 100% and
the fft window locked up.  This is on a MingW/Windows XP system with a
1.8GHz Pentium M with 512MB RAM.

As a further experiment, I added an audio.sink instead of the throttle
and I got the tone as well as a working FFT display and CPU usage
dropped to 13-15%.

I then tried running fftsink.py since it has throttle statements in the
standalone test app at the end and once again the window locked up with
100% CPU usage after displaying the first of the two fft screens in that
app.  After some experimenting, I changed both gr.sig_source statements
to audio.source and got rid of the throttles and everything worked fine
with CPU usage around 35-50%.

It appears the throttles aren't working the way I think they are
supposed to.  Any advice?

What version of GNU Radio are you using? In version 3.0 (and earlier) gr.throttle did not work on MinGW (see ticket 103 in gnuradio.org/trac). It should be ok in version 3.1 and in the latest trunk.

-- Don W.