Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] a call for a better wiki

From: George Nychis
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] a call for a better wiki
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 11:40:06 -0400

Josh Blum wrote:
The blocks in gnuradio need some kind of categorical hierarchy. Not blks2, wxgui, gruimpl, gengen... More like sources, sinks, modulators, encoders, filters...

We could manually compile a list of usable blocks that maps each block to a category. Or hide the category information in the documentation of each block, and extract it from the doxygen xml files.

Then you can generate a webpage or a cool interactive javascript thing. And link each block to the doxygen page. That would be a *very* helpful thing to have.

-Josh

I definitely agree with this. They need to be broken down in to functionality to make it even remotely easy to find the type of blocks you're looking for by searching through the code. Then we can break the documentation up into these categories.

What categories do people think are a comprehensive list?

Even if we don't break the code down into this structure now, because I don't know how difficult that will be to completely move everything around, we can at least break it down nicely in the documentation.

- George