Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] A Verilog question or two

From: Daniel O'Connor
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] A Verilog question or two
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 18:05:41 +1030

On Thursday 16 October 2008 01:00:19 Jason Uher wrote:
> 2008/10/14 Daniel O'Connor <address@hidden>:
> > On Wednesday 15 October 2008 01:15:48 Sebastiaan Heunis wrote:
> >> always @(posedge clk)
> >> begin
> >>  tap1 <= #1 input;
> >>  tap2 <= #1 tap1;
> >>  tap3 <= #1 tap2;
> >> end
> >>
> >> the #1 ensures that tap1 gets updated before tap2?
> >
> > According to what I have read with about synthesis tools the delays will
> > be ignored totally.
> >
> > I see a lot of it though, so I don't know if it's superstition or the
> > manual lies.
>
> I think the delays are just for simulation.  In synthesis the
> assignments take a real amount of time to complete (because it's
> hardware).  If you are dependent on that delay, you need to signify
> that in simulation, otherwise the assignment would occur at the same
> simulation timestep as everything else and you could be using new data
> instead of old.  Most likely synthesis ignores them, but they are
> needed for the simulation (I'm not 100% sure, I usually remove all
> such delays before synthesis testing).

Hmm.. I think it's more likely to be superstition for broken simulators then..

A book I have (Kilts - Advanced FPGA design) states that
"Delays are always ignored by synthesis tools, and this type of modeling can
easily create mismatches between simulation and synthesis." (page 167).

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum