Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Filterbank stuff

From: Matt Ettus
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Filterbank stuff
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 15:51:32 -0800

Marcus D. Leech wrote:
I'm toying with some insane ideas for EME (Moonbounce) for a friend of mine.

I'm toying with taking a modulated baseband from a QAM16 modulator, and
replicating it across several spectral pickets
  over a wide band, then on reception doing "something" with these
redundant copies to improve SNR/BER.

I'm currently thinking Analysis Filterbank/Synthesis Filterbank to take
the baseband signals, and spread them across
  a wider spectrum, with replication.

Ignoring whether this approach is sane or not is the filterbank the
right block to use to take multiple narrow baseband signals and
  "map" them onto a wider baseband?

The filterbank is the way to do what you are asking. But the overall idea is not sane :) QAM-16 makes no sense on such a weak signal. The purpose of QAM16 is to get more bits per second per hertz. What you want is more bits per second per watt. In any case, if you just do OFDM, then you don't need to worry about filterbanks.

I would suggest looking up and reading the paper that Phil Karn (KA9Q) wrote a long time ago, called EME-2000.

Matt