Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Using the MIMO port for serial comm. to a Virtex5

From: Matt Ettus
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Using the MIMO port for serial comm. to a Virtex5 board
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 13:47:09 -0800

On 11/24/2009 03:10 PM, Charles Irick wrote:
Hello,
I'm looking to use the MIMO port to send serial data to a Virtex5
board and am trying to get an idea of how to set up the USRP2 to
achieve this.

- I was wondering how a simple loopback test might be achieved.
Something simple like taking what the TI chip gives the FPGA and
sending it back out. Not sure if I should be concerning myself with
the HDL code running on the Spartan 3. (usrp2/fpga/serdes)

The easiest way to check for physical connectivity would be to turn on the loopback mode in the TI SERDES chip itself. You can do this by changing some firmware in the aemb, without having to recompile the FPGA.

- It looks like I will probably have to flash the firmware and I'm not
sure what the best s/w configuration would be. (mimo_tx.bin,
serdes_txrx.bin, my own,  ...)

Yes, you'll need to do firmware. If you just modify the main() function to set the loopback, it doesn't matter which firmware you start with.

My guess: I will need to create my own app.c in usrp2/firmware/apps
which receives a serial packet and sends it back out, compile this,
then flash it to the SD card to be run on the aeMB.

Once you have confirmed physical layer communications using the loopback test above, run the sd_gentest.bin firmware. It will send packets out at a high rate and look for them to be sent back.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

BTW, I don't know how you intended to physically connect the boards. The best long term solution is to have your own custom board which implements the connections we use (SAS). In the short term, you can buy a SAS to quad SATA breakout cable. This would connect right to the SATA headers on many FPGA eval boards.

Matt