Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Ettus Research News

From: Jason
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Ettus Research News
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2010 22:25:20 -0500

All,

Sorry for the sh*tstorm...  :-(

Jason wrote:
> Don Fanning wrote:
>> So I guess I should be the first one to ask:
>>
>> How will this affect the GPL and Open Sourceness of the USRP project?
>>

> More specifically, I see the pdfs of the schematics [1], but is there
> location to pull the .sch and .pcb files (or proprietary format
> equivalents) from?  I checked the gnuradio src tree [2], no luck...

The intent behind my question was that I assumed the files were out there and I
just couldn't find them.  I saw this [1] a few weeks ago, and thought a more
application specific SDR might be an appropriate solution.  Especially since
Harald raised concern with finding a GSM chip

"where you can still find the parts on the market, but which still has
sufficient leaked documentation that you can write an open source driver for
it."

My thought was to avoid the GSM chip, and implement an SDR in an FPGA.  Since
building an Open Source GSM phone board would be new territory for me, I
thought I might be able to "stand on shoulders" and learn from existing
designs.  My gEDA/PCB work to date has been rudimentary at best and hasn't been
concerned with RF.  So, I need all the help I can get.

Anyway, that's why I was asking.

thx,

Jason.

[1]