Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] overrun problem on gr-sounder project

From: Yan Nie
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] overrun problem on gr-sounder project
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 01:45:18 +0800

> > I'm modifying the gr-sounder project to transmit a 113-bit
> legendre sequence
> > of the bandwith 32kHz and upconvert to certain frequency in
> the range 1MHz
> > to 20MHz. At receiver side, the received signal is
> downconverted to baseband
> > and store the received sequence into a data file.

> There is no way to diagnose what you are doing incorrectly, as
> you are
> writing your own modified FPGA code.

> However, my question to you is--why are you doing this in the
> FPGA at
> all?  The gr-sounder component was designed as a way of
> processing a
> very wide bandwidth signal (up to the full baseband bandwidth of the
> daughterboard in use).  Due to limitations in the transport
> speed of
> USB, this can *only* be done on the FPGA.

> You describe a baseband waveform of 32 ksps,  and you are
> storing the
> received signal samples to a file.  Why don't you just use
> the stock
> FPGA image and write a simple GNU Radio application?

Thank you so much Johnathan.

If writing a new GNU Radio application which implement the same functionality as what you did in gr-sounder, is there any existing project in GNURadio packet, which I can refer to? I'm doing the very similar thing as what you did in gr-sounder, transmitting a 113-bit sequence of the frequency 32kHz modulated as BPSK with the user provided center frequency. The received signal is down converted to baseband and directly stored in a data file.

Thank you again

Regards,
Yan