Re: [Openbts-discuss] [Discuss-gnuradio] Free Signal Analysis Tool

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Openbts-discuss] [Discuss-gnuradio] Free Signal Analysis Tool
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2010 15:19:10 -0400

On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 3:58 PM, Isaac Gerg <address@hidden> wrote:
> No, Im not sure GnuRadio is what I need. Let me be a little more clear in my
> needs.  What I need is a tool to analyze time domain data (signals, if you
> will).  It could be RF, could be seismic, could be acoustic.  I just need a
> free tool that lets me load up time series data and do things like perform
> various FFTs, etc WITHOUT having to write any code.  Somethink  like SigView
> but free and/or open source.  Many companies who make RF rxs or geophones
> have such tools but they are developed in house and often use matlab with a
> gui front end (no coding!)  These tools are designed to let someone quickly
> look at a signal and determine coarse attributes from it like time up/down,
> bandwidth, spectral shape, etc.
> Isaac

I'll parrot Frank here and advocate using Python with Scipy for
computing and Matplotlib for plotting. I use these tools all the time
to help work with signals and develop for GNU Radio. These have
completely replaced Matlab for me with GNU Radio to take care of the
communications toolbox end of things.

Tom