Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] External clock source Info?

From: Per Zetterberg
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] External clock source Info?
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 07:29:12 +0200

Gregory Maxwell wrote:
On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 3:10 PM, Mark J. Blair <address@hidden> wrote:
On Aug 17, 2010, at 2:24 PM, William Pretty Security Inc wrote:
It seems that 52MHz /64MHz precision clock references are like hen’s teeth, so
I’m working on a design.
What I need to know is what sort of level is the USRP1 looking for ? Is it 3.3V
CMOS ?

Once I get the design working, I’ll make them available at a reasonable price J
I think you will get bonus points if your design can accept an external 10MHz
reference provided by a GPS-disciplined oscillator. If there was some
convenient way to adjust out the crystal aging for use when the external
reference isn't available, that would be even better. I've been thinking of
designing something along these lines, but I won't complain if you do the hard
work and I can just buy one from you. ;)

A while back I decided I wanted a better clock in my USRP1s and went
hunting. I didn't have a lot of luck, and the few places I sent
inquiries to didn't get back to me.  My attention was eventually
pulled off onto other projects... but you can count me in as someone
who would like to partake in the results of this work.

I'd also like to echo the 10MHz comment.  GPSDOs Clocks with excellent
long term stability show up at fairly low prices on ebay all the time
(excess from cell site deployments, I assume).  I have a couple of
them.   What they don't usually have is the very low phase noise that
I'd want for a clock which is eventually going to multiplied up to GHz
levels.   So a USRP1 clock board which was primarily a 10->64MHz
up-converter with very low phase noise would be exactly what I would
want.

== My experiments:

I have been experimenting with transmitting a tone between two USRP2s equipped with basic daughterboards. The daughterboards are tuned to 20MHz, and the transmitted signal is generated in base-band as a cisoid with 5MHz frequency. The decimation and interpolation rate is 25MHz in both TX and RX.

In the figure
http://www.s3.kth.se/~perz/usrp/phase_noise1.jpg <http://www.s3.kth.se/%7Eperz/usrp/phase_noise1.jpg> non of the USRP2s are locked to external reference.
In the figure
http://www.s3.kth.se/~perz/usrp/phase_noise2.jpg <http://www.s3.kth.se/%7Eperz/usrp/phase_noise2.jpg> the two USRPs are locked to the 10MHz ref output of a marconi2024 generator.
In the figure
http://www.s3.kth.se/~perz/usrp/phase_noise3.jpg <http://www.s3.kth.se/%7Eperz/usrp/phase_noise3.jpg> the two USRP2 are locked to the 10MHz ref of two _different_ marconi2024.

What I gather from this is that the reference of my marconi2024 is better than that built in the usrp2 (first and third figure). Though, it can be much better (second figure). However, then I would need an extremely clean reference. My marconi2024 is specified to have phase-noise better than -124dB/Hz at 20kHz. The results seem to suggest that's not true. However, the generator is 15 years old. Is it likely that it has aged ?

BR/
Per