Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Manipulating Waterfall Display

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Manipulating Waterfall Display
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2011 16:19:17 -0500

On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 1:28 PM, Robert Sorbello <address@hidden> wrote:
Hey Everyone,

I am new to GNURadio, and am at the beginning stages of learning
Python/C++, just to give you a frame of reference.  I am currently
working on developing a RTI plot from data collected by the USRP2/USRP
N210.  After working with the GNURadio Companion, I figured easiest
approach to this task would be to alter the code generating the
Waterfall Plot.  The only difference would be to replace each fft slice
with the power of each sample (acquired by the I and Q values).  The
number of samples in each slice will represent the number of samples in
one IPP (Inter-Pulse Period) for the particular radar application. Each
sample can also be represented as a range gate for distance from the
antenna.  I have been looking through the code generated by GRC, and
have made very little progress, so I have a few questions.

1.) Is there any documentation on how the Waterfall Plot is generated? I
searched through doxygen, but couldn't find anything.

2.) What would be the best way to alter the waterfall code for plotting
the power of each sample instead of the fft?

3.) Can an input be implemented to the python code that can adjust to
different IPP settings?

Any advice on these issues will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much,
Rob

Hi Rob,
Are you working with the wxgui waterfall, or the qtgui waterfall plots? If you don't know the answer to this, you're most likely using wx (it's the default).

If it's the wx version, I can't help you much. If it's the qt version, I can hopefully give you some good advice and guidance on it.

Tom