Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Pulse Position Modulation

From: Nick Foster
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Pulse Position Modulation
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 08:46:54 -0800

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 8:39 AM, Domenic Magazu III <address@hidden> wrote:
> Looking for some help in creating a Pulse Position Modulation block.  I
> haven't seen anything on the latest versions of uhd + gnuradio.  My only
> starting point is to use the time_spec for determining when my pulses will
> be transmitted.  Does anybody have experience with this type of modulation
> and how I could possibly implement it within gnuradio??

A PPM receiver is pretty easy, my mode S receiver has an example.
Generating PPM should be even easier. You don't need to use time_spec
at all, just write a block that takes byte data as input and outputs a
string of 1's and 0's separated by the number of samples appropriate
for your PPM at the desired sample rate. You can then mix up or down
or filter that stream however you like.

Look at another modulator, like BPSK for instance, to get an idea how
digital modulators are written in Gnuradio.

--n