Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] OFDM Benchmark Tx Issue?

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] OFDM Benchmark Tx Issue?
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 09:14:02 -0500

Hi Florian - Interesting observation about better reception when using larger
bandwidths.  I tried it out, and yes indeed they do seem better at 1 MS/s
compared with 250 or 500 kS/s -- meaning that more packets are received
correctly at the higher rate than the lower rates.  I didn't try > 1 MS/s yet,
but I will later.  I need to review my OFDM to get a better clue as to why this
might be the case.

Though this is interesting and useful, my problem wasn't the packet error rate.

My issue was that the Tx center frequency was 1 MHz high with a center
frequency of 5 GHz [1], no matter which USRP1 I used for Tx, when using GNU
Radio -> UHD.  When I wrote my own C++ program to use UHD for doing Tx of a
real sinusoid -- "real" so as to see both the + and - spikes, so as to be able
to determine where the center frequency is -- everything centered correctly
when I set the UHD frequency to 5 GHz [2].

I don't have time right now to investigate further.  Mostly throwing this out
to see if anyone else had encountered it. - MLD

[1] 1 MHz off at 5 GHz is 200 ppm (yes?).  IIRC a reasonable spec on these
boards is 5-10 ppm.   So, > 10x off the spec?  I doubt it.  My guess is it's
something in GNU Radio that wasn't fixed when the benchmarks were transitioned
from gr-usrp* to UHD.

[2] The offset was ~1 kHz, or ~0.2 ppm, which is well within hardware spec.