Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Error "SSE3 instruction set not enabled" when usi

From: Alex Zhang
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Error "SSE3 instruction set not enabled" when using VOLK
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 10:17:16 -0500

Thanks Tom and Nick, it works now, by just calling the abstract method name.

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 9:21 AM, Tom Rondeau <address@hidden> wrote:
On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 6:53 PM, Alex Zhang <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to use the volk_32fc_x2_multiply_conjugate_32fc_a_sse3() in my
> signal processing code. However, when I compile my code, it was told that
> Error "SSE3 instruction set not enabled" and the intrinsics within this VOLK
> method are not recognized at all.
> It was told that the -msse3 option is needed in gcc/g++ compilation to
> enable the support on sse3. But I don't know where I can specify this
> option. I did not find related content in the CMakelist of other blocks who
> support sse, like some filters.
>
> Also, my CPU is Core I7-2600, which is suppose to support  SSE3.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
>
> Alex,
> Dreams can come true – just believe.

Alex,

VOLK is not intended for you to explicitly call a kernel of a
particular type. You want to call the abstract verson
(volk_32fc_x2_multiply_conjugate_32fc_a) and let the VOLK runtime
decide what the best available proto-kernel is (this is determined
from your volk_config file after you run volk_profile). That will make
sure that you are using a proto-kernel that you properly compiled and
that can run on your processor.

To check more into why SSE3 is not available on your machine, take a
look at the output of cmake to see what it tells you. You can look to
see what the value of "have_msse3" is in the CMakeCache.txt file.

During make, you can run 'make VERBOSE=1' to get the full compile
line, too, where you can see what flags are actually being used by GCC
when compiling.

Tom