Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Enable QT multi threading in the qtgui template

From: Sylvain Munaut
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Enable QT multi threading in the qtgui template
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 22:28:27 +0200

Hi Tom,

> Yes, the destruction of objects with QT being "good" and doing its own
> garbage collection was a hassle for me at the beginning, too. This
> looks like a nice solution, especially if it solves your issues.

I was hoping to be able to have the same class deriving from both
gr_sync_block and QWidget, but unfortunately that doesn't seem
possible, but at least with this I can have both independently.

The downside is that it's harder to make the 3 versions of the block
share some of the code. I have a glfw version that's standalone and
doesn't depend on any GR gui toolkit support and I wanted to make a Qt
and WX version that integrated nicely and share as much as possible of
the GR integration code, but you need to do stuff so differently for
the 3 toolkits that's it's pretty hard to come up with a good
solution.

> Once you've settled everything and have your OOT module working and
> tested, can you send us a couple of patches for these things? Or you
> and I can work offline to make sure things are fixed correctly.

Yup of course.

I'd like to get WX to work as well so I know exactly all that needs to
be updated for it to all work together.

Cheers,

    Sylvain