Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] PCB Log Periodic Antenna connection

From: Jared Clements
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] PCB Log Periodic Antenna connection
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 21:13:07 -0600

On Sep 27, 2013 9:23 AM, "Dincer Beken" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Thank you Marcus,
>

> but I have still the following questions:
>

> Can I connect the Antenna then with the SMA-M/SMA-M cable to the daughterboard RX antenna port?

That should work fine.

> What kind of a stand should I use?

Non-metallic :-D. Those PCB antennas don't exactly have a tripod mount, so it'll take some ingenuity to figure out how to mount them.

> Can I put the Antenna onto the (plastic) GROUND PLANE (used against ESD)?

ESD mats are pretty crappy ground planes for RF purposes, great for not damaging your hardware.  It's definitely safe to set it on the mat during operation, though it will affect the beam pattern some, a metal bench underneath the mat would affect the beam pattern much more significantly.

> This is a bonus question:
>
> Is it enough, that the antenna stands up?

See the Wikipedia article on log periodic antenna to understand the beam pattern.  Hint: point the small end in the direction you want to listen.

Does the SMA cable need to have a specific degree of bending?

There is a minimum bend radius, but generally just don't kink it.

Have fun!

Jared