Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Install: qa_volk_test_all fails on armv7

From: Philip Balister
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Install: qa_volk_test_all fails on armv7
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2013 12:41:27 -0500

On 12/04/2013 09:45 AM, Tom Rondeau wrote:

>>> which version of GNU Radio? These bugs were fixed on Nov. 19 and will be a
>>> part of the 3.7.2.1 release.
>>> See bugs #582 and #583 on our Issues page.
>>> Tom
>>
>> After pulling the latest GR code (as of Dec 1) and doing a fresh build, my
>> ARMv7 target's ctest output for qa_volk_test_all matches what Ken attached
>> in the first message of this thread. So there is something still going on
>> here. Is it possible some external component needs to be updated, that is
>> outside of what's in the GR git tree?
>>
>> The output I originally logged in Bug #583 differs from our latest results,
>> but the behavior is the same (in1/in2 values appear to match).
>>
>> The output I originally logged in Bug #582 (for ARM target) remains the same
>> (in1/in2 values differ by 1).
>>
>> Regards,
>> Tim
>
> I just did a fresh install on my ARMv7 of the entire OS and GNU Radio
> from the latest git checkout (was testing Balister's new OE manifest
> and SDK) and everything is working great here.
>
> When you say you did a "fresh build", what does that really mean? One
> of the quirks of volk is that cmake /has/ to be rerun when these kinds
> of changes are made. Best really to clean up everything to make sure
> you're doing everything from a clean checkout. "git reset --hard; git
> pull origin master; git clean -dxf;". Then rerun cmake and make from a
> clean build directory.
>
> The above might be overkill, so if you want a quicker test, start with
> the clean git pull of the latest head and just make sure to rerun
> cmake and make, not necessarily from an empty directory.

Building gnuradio on an arm is silly :) (OK, mayb eif you have an armv8
server, but these do not exists yet) I am building gnuradio on a quad
A15 (limping across the OOM's). At the same time I built the toolchain
form an imge, installed the toolchain, configured and compiled gnuradio
on my x86.

Once we solve the mystery of the hardcoded paths in the QA code and work
out installing on the target from a cross build, things will be really nice.

On the subject of the email, I am wondering if the QA failure is relates
to the use of the hard float ABI. I'm switching my OE builds to armthf
now so I can compare my results with Tom's.

Philip