Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] QT GUI Frequency Sink CPU usage

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] QT GUI Frequency Sink CPU usage
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 16:02:43 +0000

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 12:54 AM, Jim Larsen <address@hidden> wrote:
> The CPU usage of the QT GUI Frequency Sink is much higher than the QT GUI
> Sink. I made a test flow graph with a noise source, throttle, and QT GUI
> Sink using default parameters. I am running GNU Radio version 3.7.0, Xubuntu
> 13.10, on a MacBook with 2.4 Ghz Intel dual core CPU.
>
> QT GUI Frequency Sink CPU usage
> python: 43%
> xorg: 58%
>
> QT GUI Sink CPU usage
> python: 5%
> xorg: 9%
>
> Could this be a bug?
>
> Regards,
>
> Jim Larsen

Yes, I'm seeing the same thing. There's no good reason for that to be
happening, though. Also, when using performance monitor, I'm seeing
that the qt frequency sink actually takes a smaller percent of the
overall runtime than the the qt sink. So whatever is happening is
occurring outside of the block itself (in the QT and X systems), so
performance monitor doesn't pick it up.

Yes, this seems like a bug and should definitely be looked into.

Tom