Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [GSOC] A HTML-based GUI for GNU Radio: Draft of p

From: Bastian Bloessl
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [GSOC] A HTML-based GUI for GNU Radio: Draft of proposal
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2017 17:02:12 +0100

Hi Kartik,

great proposal and it seems that Bokeh really provides all the required
features.

As far as I understand, you would use an architecture similar to the one shown
in the user guide
http://bokeh.pydata.org/en/latest/docs/user_guide/server.html#connecting-with-bokeh-client

Then the GNU Radio flow graph feeds data to the Bokeh server, which distributes
and syncs the data in the client’s browsers.
As Martin already mention,  that would mean that we are really all-in Bokeh. So
I guess the biggest question is if that’s a good idea. If we, at some point,
find out that Bokeh has (performance) problems, there might not be a lot of
code that can be reused. Do you know if Bokeh is tuned towards high data rates
and frequent updates? Maybe it would be a good idea to also ask for feedback
from the Bokeh guys and see what they think about this particular use-case.

The alternate architecture would be to have a more generic GNU Radio block that
starts a web server and streams the incoming samples through web sockets (using
Flask, for example). This would make the HTML frontend independent from the
plotting library. We could, for example, have a Bokeh time sink and a Plotly
frequency sink. Apart from that, we would not have to rewrite everything if we
want to change the plotting library. Did you consider this architecture?

Best,
Bastian