Import Block "bad import syntax"

From: Elmore's
Subject: Import Block "bad import syntax"
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2020 10:13:53 -0500

I have a problem as indicated in the subject line that has me totally baffled.

I have created a noblock module with gr_modtool called softrock. This module has been successfully created and lives in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/softrock. It contains a file softrock_usb.py.

I have an existing flowgraph in which I select an Import block. In the Import line in Properties I type “import softrock” (without quotes). I get the error “bad import syntax”.

I used the document TutorialPythonFunctions from the gnuradio wiki as guidance for this task.

I have performed extensive searching for this issue but everything points back to simply adding the word “import” in front of the module name.

I have tried completely clearing the text box thinking that there might be extraneous characters present.

This seems so simple that I am baffled why it isn’t working.

My platform is a Raspberry Pi 3 with Raspbian Jessie.

Thanks for any help you might give me.

Jim