Re: GNUstep Window Manager (was RE: Idea)

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: GNUstep Window Manager (was RE: Idea)
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 04:40:30 +0000

On Sunday, January 7, 2001, at 11:10 PM, Jason H Clouse wrote:

> <<I'm not sure - but I think this should be the role of a workspace
> manager application, and the backend library (xgps/xdps) should provide
> this functionality so that we could potentially have different workspace
> managers without their authors having to duplicate this work.>>
>
> Good point.  First, we have to decide what this thing should do.  Do we
> just want to make it easy to integrate X11 applications into a GNUstep
> Dock and Workspace, or do we want to go further (offering pasteboard and
> notification services and such)?  Is any of this (especially the
> pasteboard) already implemented in the backend?

Pastebaord is already implemented and works for plain text - it's never been
improved beyond that, though I did try to put in place a structure to make
it easy to add converters for other data types.

I guess that notification services could fairly easily be added.

Actually, I implemented the X pasteboard stuff as a separate program the way
you originally suggested.
The xgps backend provides a replacement (for the one provided by the gui
library)
pasteboard server.  I now think, it might have been better to build the
functionality into the xgps library, and let the pastboard server in  the gui
library use it through some simple API.