Re: GNUstep Window Manager (was RE: Idea)

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: GNUstep Window Manager (was RE: Idea)
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 09:54:58 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 8 Jan 2001, Sungjin Chun wrote:

> Hi,
>
> But if GDK and linart is just a drawing engine like things then,
> we need not to sacrifice our NeXTSTEP look and feel, and this
> is what Philippe suggests as far as I understand.( for speed and
> functionality? )

Yes - sorry - it's my fault :-) - I was still testing my new emacs emailer
and I messed up - ending up posting an answer about gtk to a message
talking about gdk <sorry philippe you are right my answer was out of place
with your original message>.

There is nothing bad in implementing a new backend using yet another
drawing library.  We already use window maker's library for image
rendering/color stuff etc in our xgps backend, to share that code (which
is quite difficult for us) with window maker.  The only point which must
be clear is: how much time will it take to do it ?  Who is volunteering to
do it ?  And - which problems will this solve ?

* it will *NOT* solve window focus problems by magic.  These are caused by
the difficulty of making the openstep api cooperate with a window manager,
and we will still have them whatever kit/library we use.  Anyway, they are
nearly fixed now.

* it will *NOT* fix bugs in the gui itself.

* it will *NOT* magically finish the text system or the color panel or
whatever.

* AFAIK it will *NOT* even give us any appreciable integration with gnome.

So, the only advantage I see is that we can improve drawing performance.
This could be very interesting, but I don't think this to be the current
issue in the gui.