Re: RE: root window

From: Enrico Sersale
Subject: Re: RE: root window
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 20:36:42 +0200 (EET)

On Wed, 7 Feb 2001, Philippe C.D. Robert wrote:

> Hi Enrico,
>
> sorry for the late answer...
>
> > I want to create a kind of big shelf as that that is created by the
> > openstep Fiend.app.

> I agree - what about providing a full dock (replacement) in
> GWorkspace.app? I really would like to have such a feature, since I
> do not like having WM's dock running. IMHO this would allow far
> better interaction between GNUstep apps and the workspace.

I've decided to use dnd from the gworkspace's windows (or from an other
GNUstep app, if you want) to dock elements on the Fiend, not because of
a choice but because I can't use the app icons.

It would be easy to change the fiend code to make it looking as the Dock,
but the main problem will remain.

It (the problem) is that, the dock-fiend can wait only for events related
with a pasteboard, not for app icons movements that are window manager
driven...

So, I see only two solutions, if we want a GNUstep based dock:

1) the window manager, when is dragging an app icon, has also an istance
   of a dragging pasteboard. (Not possible !!!)

2) even if this is out of the actual tendency of getting our app-icons
   administrated by Window Maker, a solution would be:

   - to get that "big shelf", "back window" or how you want to call it,
     working.
     This is not, necessairly a GWorkspace thing, it could be also a new
     app to make only the root win and the dock.

   - to put the app icons on this win (if it exists, else switch to the
     actual solution).

I don't know if GWorkspace will be the *official* GNustep Workspace.app
and, anyway, I think that the way should be leaved open for other
proposals. So, I think that the best solution would be a very simple app
that administrates only the back window and the dock.

ciao, Enrico