objc runtime memory usage

From: Ian Mondragon
Subject: objc runtime memory usage
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 19:14:17 -0500

all -

in my quest to make Interface a streamlined window manager, i have come to
accept the fact that the objc runtime is going to eat up plenty of memory, but
i would like to confirm some of my findings:

after utilizing old test tools/apps & a couple of new ones, i did the following:

*******************DISCLAIMER***********************

i _know_ this is a total po-dunk way to do this. so
please don't grind *that* in my face. <grin>

- compile with debugging symbols (it's habit)
- pull up the program in gdb & break on main()
- check the memory usage via top

at the onset of main, i go the following averages as far as memory usage go:

tools: 5234k (3 small tools)
apps : 8568k (3 small apps)

is this screwy, or is this what y'all get, too?  the box i'm doing all of this
on is runninng FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE.

- ian mondragon

--
@end

Ian Mondragon  - < copal @ dragonhelix . org >

< h t t p : // d r a g o n h e l i x . o r g >

<<< F r e e B S D -- O b j e c t i v e - C >>>