Re: gnustep compared to other toolkits

From: Chris B . Vetter
Subject: Re: gnustep compared to other toolkits
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 11:24:02 -0700

On Thu, 21 Jun 2001 21:39:55 +0200
"Martin Brecher" <martin@stupid-design.com> wrote:
> Well, another option might be to do it the mac os way:
> GNUstep could provide an (horizontal) menubar app which sits at the top
> of the screen (and might eventually be customizeable regarding position
> and size), where the menus of the current focused app are drawn.
> Would this be possible? (without too much effort/rewriting?)

Use Mlvwm ;-)

> This way, GS would also stay consistent with Mac OS... maybe someone
> would even create a aqua like theme and window manager.

Yikes. Aqua, though something new, is bloody ugly IMHO. And sorry, I
think, themes in general are a waste of resources. What we have right
now is simple yet elegant. Can't wish for more.

> p.s.: Who else on the list is speaking German? Maybe together we could
> write an GNUstep article for a German computer magazine?

I do. I also tried several times to direct Heise's (publisher of c't
and iX) attention to GNUstep's progress but nothing ever happened.

--
Chris