Re: OpenStep: Advice Needed

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: OpenStep: Advice Needed
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 14:06:57 +0100 (CET)

Stefan =?ISO-8859-1?Q?B=F6hringer?=
<stefan.boehringer+usenet@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> wrote:
> [...]
> Just one sidenote: The scripts were at least partially Perl. Perhaps
> (which I had to check) the whole conversion process might be cut out of
> the OPENSTEP environment (except for the nib files).
> Back some time there was some initiative of Web-based nib-conversion.
> This initiative, unfortunatly never came into being.

Most of them  use a NeXT-custom tool to  substitute Objective-C method
names (and do  other string substitutions). To cut  out the conversion
process, we would need to rewrite this tool.

Perhaps  it would  be  interesting  to do  it,  because most  NeXTSTEP
application never were converted to  OPENSTEP since there was a binary
upward  compatibility,  but now,  we  have  a  collection of  NeXTSTEP
applications (with sources available) on http://www.peanuts.org/, that
could be converted directly to GNUstep.

Searching  on  Peanuts   pure  source  archives  (filename  containing
\.s\.tar), we  have 462 source packages  for NeXTSTEP and  only 14 for
OpenStep.

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__              (o_ Software patents are endangering
()  ASCII ribbon against html email //\ the computer industry all around