Re: OPENSTEP->GNUstep Porting Questions

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: OPENSTEP->GNUstep Porting Questions
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 07:58:47 +0000

On Friday, December 7, 2001, at 05:52 AM, Jay McCarthy wrote:

Ya I'm the jerk who replies to himself.

On Thu, 2001-12-06 at 21:37, Jay McCarthy wrote:
2) Some of these programs are trying to use the class NSDPSContext,
which is defined in the 'Display Postscript' section of the OPENSTEP
spec. In the gnustep-gui reference documentation it claims that this
class is defined in 'Gui/NSDPSContext.h'. There is no NSDPSContext.h in
System/Headers - anywhere (as far as I can find). Would this imply that
that class must be implemented still?
 I realize that in gnustep/dgs/dgs/DPS there is a DPSContext
(class|struct?), but I don't know if that is what I need (nor can I find
the proper header which defines it)

Sorry about this question, I'm an idiot I figured it out. The code was
acutally checking for a certain version of OPENSTEP - namely if RHAPSODY
had been defined, and if that was the case it was using a
NSGraphicsContext ( which is something that GNUstep has.)
However, even if that part of the problem was solved - the documentation
for gnustep-gui is still wrong in saying that a NSDPSContext class (and
companion NSDPSContext.h ) exists.

NSDPSContext.h *does* exist.

NSDPSContext is a subclass of NSGraphicsContext which handles display postscript
stuff - it exists in the xdps backend library.

If you are using the xgps backend, you don't have a true display postscript system, and you can't used the NSDPSContext specific stuff - it's therefore better to port your code to work with NSGraphicsContext and use the NSBezierPath class for drawing unless you know you are only going to be working with the
xdps backend.