Re: GNUStep: An Apology for Announcing Donation of Proprietary Software

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: GNUStep: An Apology for Announcing Donation of Proprietary Software to the Project
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 17:25:09 +0000

Sorry for quoting so much below but I pretty much agree with all that Nicola wrote.

While I'm no GNU fanatic, I think that the gains from being part of
GNU are more important than any inconveniences.

However, I think the main drive of what Nicola is saying is that most
of the points complained about are nothing to do with it being a GNU
project anyway.

For me, the most important thing about GNUstep being a GNU project sis
to do with the licensing ...
Using the LGPL has nothing to do directly with being a GNU project,
but being a GNU project means that the FSF is there as a copyright
holder to enforce the license!  This means that I have some assurance
that my work won't be appropriated by people who won't share
fixes/improvements.