Re: Look & feel, future plans

From: Erik Dalén
Subject: Re: Look & feel, future plans
Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 23:54:20 +0200

Magnus Lofgren wrote:
I understand that naturally, you will want to set the classic NeXT look & feel the initial goal, and then add interesting stuff from there, but there are some elements I find slightly irritating, like the vertical menu's for example, where Apple has found, IMHO, a far better solution.
I would like to hear some of your opinions on this.

I think it would be really neat to have some extended window manager hints to let the window manager draw the menu if it's able to, and otherwise fall back to the default mode. Then a mac or amiga imitating window manager could draw the menus in a menubar at the top. And an LCARS(star trek) window manager could draw them in an LCARS style.

but it is of course a problem that horizontal menus are usually organized in a different way, with quit under the file menu etc.

/Erik