Re: a window for a tool

From: Pete French
Subject: Re: a window for a tool
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 00:13:09 +0100

> Well you ought to be able to just get the sharedApplication object
> (which makes the 'connection' to the window server), then start up your
> own runloop which will receive and process events (see NSApplication for

I do this all the time - (in fact this is my main use of OpenStep,
doing AppKit stuff from command line tools). You dont need to start
a runloop at all as llong as you handle events yourself within the
main loop of the application. best example of something like this
is possibly in ther OpenStep port of Xmame whcih does precisely this.

getting this working under GNustep is somewhat more annoying as its one of
those areas where it doesnt seemt o do what OpenStep does (getting stuff
to appear in a window took me ages the first time I tried it), but it
can e done quite easily. havent tried panels I have to admit - I am
more usually drawing into Views and the like - but I dont see why it should
work.

Indeed, isnt one of the examples a CLi application which does exactly this ?

-bat.