Re: variable declaration

From: Andreas Heppel
Subject: Re: variable declaration
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 10:07:49 +0200

On 2002-10-19 19:54:24 -0600 Adam Fedor <fedor@doc.com> wrote:

Philippe C.D.Robert wrote:
On Saturday, October 19, 2002, at 06:45  Uhr, Eric Dahlman wrote:

On Wednesday, October 16, 2002, at 04:37 PM, Philippe C.D. Robert wrote:

I just noticed that you can declare a variable at anyplace with the gcc shipped
with Mac OS X 10.2, just as you can do it in C++ (and unlike in ANSI C). So you
are allowed to do

Actually this is ANSI C as of the C99 standard.

Yes, I noticed that after sending my email - but what it the 'official'
guideline wrt using this in GNU code? If we start using it then pre 3.x
compilers will not be usable anymore...

If you mean the guideline for GNUstep code, I'd rather not use it. Call me
backward, but I still use a 2.95 compiler on a few of my systems :-)

So do I, And I suppose there are many more out there who do. Thus, I vote for
keeping cod e'the old way'. I also pledge to those ppl programming mere apps to
not declare their variable like this, since I can't compile the stuff. And I am
not willing to permanently upgrade my compiler or dig through tons of foreign
code to be able to use certain apps. And you surely want your apps to be used
by ppl, don't you ;-)

Cheers,
Andreas

--
Andreas Heppel

Mail: aheppel at web dot de
Home: http://www.andreasheppel.de

Check out GSburn.app - the CD burning frontend for GNUstep
http://gsburn.sourceforge.net