Re: Discuss-gnustep Digest, Vol 2, Issue 28

From: Dennis Leeuw
Subject: Re: Discuss-gnustep Digest, Vol 2, Issue 28
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 12:22:18 +0100

Richard Stonehouse wrote:

> Dennis,
>
> The message <3E2339F6.CFEA3DE4@made-it.com>
> from Dennis Leeuw <dleeuw@made-it.com> contains these words:
>
> > Use:
> > strings `gcc --print-file-name=libgmp.so` | grep -e
> > ^[[:digit:]].[[:digit:]]$
> > And it probably solves that.
>
> Nope - still comes straight back to the shell prompt (with the gmp-devel
> package now installed). Looking at all the strings returned by
>
>   strings /usr/lib/libgmp.so.3.3.0
>
> there's nothing there that looks to me remotely as if it could be the
> gmp version number. Perhaps it's been removed in version 4.1?

What puzzles me is that the lib is 3.3.0 (accordind to it's file name),
but that the -dev package tells you it is 4.1

Is this another Red Hat feature...?

Could you do: rpm -qa | grep gmp
And then do a: rpm -ql on the found elements?
Does the 4.1 package give you 3.3.0 installs?

Anyone else with a Red Hat 8.0 install that could verify this?

thnx,

Dennis