Re: ANNOUNCE : HelpViewer 0.1

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE : HelpViewer 0.1
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 14:21:58 +0100

On 2003-01-22 13:26:53 +0100 Tobias <ibotty@web.de> wrote:

(snap on things everyone agree)

I want
this help to be displayed in viewer with exact the same functions as
described above: follow links to topics, search for keywords etc (which is
what the Windoze context help does not provide). Thus, I vote for using
HelpViewer for the context help because it provides (or at least will do
so) all this.
i think, if this (context help) should be a short description, i vote against
using helpviewer, but for a tooltip.

Yes; but if this is a tooltip, why not simply use a tooltip ?

btw: thats like late openstep seemed to do too ( [1] )

what you suggest is to (wait for a new application to launch, and) display
help, about what to do in the whole *situation*.

same interpretation here.

but i think context help is something to describe one specific widget of this
situation. such a short help should be displayed instantly and be short.

Well isn't what tooltips are supposedly used for ??
if widgets have differents behaviors for differents situations, I think there
is something wrong in the UI ... we should avoid ambiguates situation.

For me Context Help is more "what to do in the situation".

The question left is how to make HelpViewer  display only a certain,
context sensitive portion of the help file. IMO, we must clarify two points
here: 1. the API by which HelpViewer is triggered and
and yet another api to be defined...

we allready have a openstep api for context help.
we could do it, as described in [1]
( context help automatically out of a localized rtf file )

The "API" could be fairly trivial. Just open the file, and send a DO command
to select the right section. But it could be totally internal to GNUstep, eg,
programmers just see the current OpenStep API.
It could perhaps be interessting to have a "helpviewer library" in order to
have modal panels for that.

We could even provide both methods : use a simple panel and use
helpviewer, it could depend on a default entry.

2. how to make context help available to the user, i.e. what will the user
have to press, click, point to to get context help?
in kde, you have a) a window manager hint, that is not official backed by icccm
or ewmh atm, dont know if it will.
b) a menu entry in help->whats this?
both will change your cursor and display a '?'

i like both.

I agree, we should provide a key combination and a menu entry (under the
current "help" entry ?)

--
Nicolas Roard <nicolas@roard.com>
http://info.xdev.org/projets/waiho