Re: New method to load user bundles

From: Jeff Teunissen
Subject: Re: New method to load user bundles
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 21:03:10 -0400

Adam Fedor wrote:

> Jeff Teunissen wrote:
> > Adam Fedor wrote:
> >

> >>I added a function to NSApplication to load user bundles into a gui
> >>program. You can define bundles to load as an array of path names:
> >>
> >>defaults write NSGlobalDomain GSAppKitUserBundles "(/foo, /bar)"
> >

> > How can this be disabled? (this is a Very Bad Thing in many instances)
> >

> Well, you could not use it...

No, I can't just "not use it". How can it be disabled -- how can it be
made to not work? This is potentially important. Some applications need to
be able to retain/manage their own integrity, especially since a loaded
bundle can essentially rewrite the app. As for my own apps, I couldn't
really care less...because my apps are free software and they already load
bundles as part of their normal functionality...but that's not the point
at all.

You may not have realized it here, but you are setting a policy here that
tells app authors "You have no right to control how your code runs".

Bundles ain't just plugins, well-defined chunks of code that you get to
tell what to do. They are active entities, able to do anything the app or
any of the libs can...and there's no way of preventing them from doing
anything at all, short of not loading them in the first place...

[snip]