Re: SGStep/LinuxStep/Alternatives?

From: René Berber
Subject: Re: SGStep/LinuxStep/Alternatives?
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 19:24:09 -0500

On 2003-06-05 18:10:30 -0500 Riccardo Mottola <multix@ngi.it> wrote:

>> WindowMaker; but it was easier.  By pretty I mean it works slowly but
>> correctly, under KDE there are too many details that make things hard (menu
>> items highlight below the cursor position, not under but about one item
>> below,
>> and such).
>
> these things happen to me also when I export display to apple's X11 for
> MacOS-X. I thought it was their bug, but si maybe it's gnustep.
> Sometimes after using it a bit, a menu can also be complitely misp-placed pr
> it can have "black" entries at the top (the menues are each a window and you
> can see the boundaries while on a normal X you don't, so youi probably don't
> notice it)

Yes that happens on KDE too, ugly!   What's the window manager under Mac OSX
X11?

But the problem is the window manager, KDE adds too many decorations and that
backfires in the case of GNUstep applications.  In contrast WindowMaker looks
perfect, my only complaint is the slowness (but I'm using Windows XP as an
X-terminal with XFree's port under Cygwin).
--
René Berber