Re: Objective-C gdb (was: Re: Problem with AppKit/Fonts?)

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: Objective-C gdb (was: Re: Problem with AppKit/Fonts?)
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 22:41:18 -0600

On Saturday, July 12, 2003, at 07:58 AM, David Ayers wrote:

Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

I use gdb on ix86 machines ... and I have no problem with the 'next' command. Perhaps what's needed is a short test program to run the debugger on, and
an explanation of how to reproduce the problem with 'next'

I havn't been able to reproduce this with "simple" -base tests, but with ProjectCenter.

I "break" at main, "next" all the way to NSApplicationMain, step into it and when trying to 'next' over the creation of the autorelease pool, gdb continues (i.e. dosen't stop when the creation returns). Note that in main there is already a release pool created and destroyed before calling NSApplicationMain.

I get it now. It only seems to happen when using next within a method that is in a shared library. In fact, I've been able to replicate this on even C programs (see attached). Someone should tell me I'm wrong - I can't believe no one else has noticed this...