Re: RSS/RDF Aggregator

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: RSS/RDF Aggregator
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 01:29:52 +0200

Marcus Müller wrote:
If you think about restarting your efforts, you should create a VFSFileManager, very similar to NSFileManager. Helge did this in OGo for several protocols (with various extensions to NSFileManager - locking, versioning etc.).

Yes, the filemanager-like API is pretty central in OGo. Eg another important aspect is that filemanagers can return datasources for folders, which is a must-have for "filesystems" like IMAP4 or database tables (potentially containing hundreds of thousands of records).

Anyway, writing something like this for a desktop application is quite a major task (lets call it Zzz ;-).

I don't know the infrastructure of GWorkspace, but any app using NSFileManager for browsing a file system could very easily switch to VFSFileManager - with all benefits automatically kicking in. Also all <foo>WithContentsOfURL: methods could be implemented utilizing this VFSFileManager.

I know we disagree here, but NSFileManager is not a suitable API for a GWorkspace in the VFS environment because it is a synchronous API. Now fetch a WebDAV folder on the other side of the ocean and see your kernel being blocked (usual in MacOSX ;-)

regards,
  Helge