Re: GNUstep on MS Windows

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: GNUstep on MS Windows
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 16:32:36 -0700

On Saturday, December 6, 2003, at 09:54 AM, Gregory John Casamento wrote:

As I said previously, unless we change the paradigm by which we are drawing the views and handling events we cannot use the natvie widgets. I honestly don't see this happening in the short term, if ever. This is the same reason GTK widgets cannot be used from GNUstep classes. I'm not saying it's impossible, just that it will require a certain amount of uphieval in the architechture of
GNUstep itself.

Just for reference, the original backend (long, long, long time ago) was structured similarly to what might need to be done, with a separate backend class for each gui class, each responsible for drawing itself and in some cases, handling events. Besides the obvious code duplication, there's the subclassing problem - what if you wanted to subclass an NSButton? It's not possible in this case, at least not in an easy portable manner.