Re: GNUstep on MS Windows

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: GNUstep on MS Windows
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 16:17:45 -0800 (PST)

--- Adam Fedor <fedor@doc.com> wrote:

> On Saturday, December 6, 2003, at 09:54 AM, Gregory John Casamento
> wrote:
>

> > As I said previously, unless we change the paradigm by which we are
> > drawing the
> > views and handling events we cannot use the natvie widgets.  I
> > honestly don't
> > see this happening in the short term, if ever.  This is the same
> > reason GTK
> > widgets cannot be used from GNUstep classes.  I'm not saying it's
> > impossible,
> > just that it will require a certain amount of uphieval in the
> > architechture of
> > GNUstep itself.
> >

> Just for reference, the original backend (long, long, long time ago)
> was structured similarly to what might need to be done, with a separate
> backend class for each gui class, each responsible for drawing itself
> and in some cases, handling events.  Besides the obvious code
> duplication, there's the subclassing problem - what if you wanted to
> subclass an NSButton? It's not possible in this case, at least not in
> an easy portable manner.

I believe I remember this.  The problem with this was that it's was odds with
the way it should be done in an OpenStep environment, which is, I assume, why
it was changed (the subclassing issue aside). :)

The widgets and windows should draw themselves, not delegate to another class
to act as the actual widget.

Besides, aren't the Microsoft APIs written in C++??

GJC

=====
Gregory John Casamento -- CEO/President Open Logic Corp.
-- bheron on #gnustep, #linuxstep, & #gormtalk ----------------
Please sign the petition against software patents at:
http://www.petitiononline.com/pasp01/petition.html
-- Main Developer of Gorm (featured in April Linux Journal) ---