Re: NSToolbar (was Re: Portability/Compatability betweenGNUstep<---> Coc

From: Philippe C.D. Robert
Subject: Re: NSToolbar (was Re: Portability/Compatability betweenGNUstep<---> Cocoa...)
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 16:43:51 +0100

Hi,

Jeff Teunissen wrote:
Btw. somebody already pointed out that toolbars have been part of the
Both of them (two people -- Phillippe Robert, and Greg Casamento -- not one)
were wrong, and as I said earlier, I don't have a problem with toolbars
being in GNUstep.

To expand on that first sentence:

NeXTstep did not have toolbars.
OPENSTEP did not have toolbars.
In the OPENSTEP days, NeXT had a private framework that implemented a class
called NSToolbar, which was nothing like the class that we know of today as
NSToolBar. NSToolbar provided Mail v4 and Project Builder with their
toolbar-like icon lists, which were: 1. not user-configurable, and 2. just
another view, which is the reasonable way to implement them in a NeXTish UI.

Sorry but we are not wrong, you are - you even contradict yourself above by saying:

"OPENSTEP did not have toolbars" vs. "...NeXT had a private framework that implemented a class called NSToolbar..."

BTW as you note, the NEXTSTEP GUI made use of toolbars, PB.app or Mail.app (didn't I type this days ago...uhm). The fact that these early toolbars were not as powerful as todays version does not mean they did not exist!

Anyway, as many here (including you and me, it seems :) do agree the problem is not "to have or not to have toolbars" (as UI elements) but whether GNUstep should be compatible with Cocoa by providing a NSToolbar compliant API or not. This question can IMHO only be answered once forever if the core maintainers decide and clearly state that the goal of this project is to produce a 100% Cocoa clone, or alternatively that this is about OPENSTEP/OpenStep and Cocoa is not part of it. If the latter is the case it would also be consequent to remove all parts and changes of GNUstep which have been introduced to the sources only because of Cocoa.

What clearly does not work though is the current situation, which always causes infinite discussions whenever a new feature is about to be added (or not), esp. since these discussions are rarely rational but often in an unacceptable style filled with rants and insults.

cheers,

-Phil
--
Philippe C.D. Robert