Re: Default colors vs. gamma

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Default colors vs. gamma
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 22:09:10 +0200

Alexander Malmberg wrote:
(First, to clarify, all of this is for display on a screen. Other devices may need other adjustments.)

Thats an important point, which also makes it clear that we should not implemetn this behaviour in this bit of GUI, as this would effect every output device, even a PS file.

 > If this is the only

thing that needs to be done, than why don't we provide a separate system colour list for systems with wrong gamma settings?

Well, that's what the patch does: guess what the user's gamma "should" be and adjust the default system colors. The interesting issue here is what we think of this approach of automagically adjusting for unconfigured systems.

What's your opinion of that? What would your opinion be of a patch to set a system-(either all of GNUstep, or the entire system)-wide gamma based on an automagic guess?

As I wrote, I like the idea of correcting the appearance of GNUstep, but this patch does it wrong. All colours that are generated by any other means than the system colour list will still look wrong. Also, as you wrote, linear colour interpolation wont b epossible any more and so on. What we should do is integrate some CMS library with the backends, we could start of with just the gamma correction in the x-backends. I don't really like the idea of "automagic", even when implemented correctly it will only work for some people, others will be worse off. And somehow I always feel like I might end up in the wrong group...

But now a question from my side: Why didn't you provide just a small application to generate different system colour lists? Or to but it even broader, why isn't anybody delivering different system colour lists for GNUstep? Is it because they are to hard to generate? Do we need a user itnerface for this?

Fred