Re: Donations

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: Re: Donations
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 13:48:20 +0100

Am Sonntag, 30.01.05 um 12:57 Uhr schrieb Quentin Mathé:

Le 30 janv. 05, à 11:52, Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf a écrit :

Am Sonntag, 30.01.05 um 04:18 Uhr schrieb Adam Fedor:

This should be plenty to pay for the first round of icons we've commissioned.

What will be the proceedings? I hope that we hold a contest where those donations are the price money. This way we can "kill two flies with one stroke" as a german proverb goes. First we get many solutions to choose from (by poll or whatever), second we get a portion extra attention when we advertise the contest on slashdot or whatever.

I'm not sure you are talking of a contest for the GNUstep icons, but if it is case it is unrealistic in my opinion,

How can you say that without even trying? I mean 600$ is a quite large amount of money given that it was raised from donations. We should try to get some more bang for the buck (read attention) than just /one/ set of icons (which might in turn be appealing to a special taste - but then the money is gone).

because such icons set involves a lot of work and no icon designers will subscribe to it if he is not sure to get paid.

I don't believe that. Ever googled for http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=free+icon+set ? Or have a look at those theme sites like http://www.resexcellence.com/themes/ ? Most of the themes are downloadable for free. I don't see where somebody here did not work without a paycheck.

I'm saying that because it took me lot of time to find an icon designer who accepts to work for us even with his work remunerated…

I would say you didn't try hard enough. I - for instance - wasn't aware that you were looking for designers. And I am a person that is somewhat involved with gnustep. I did not see any announce at our web site and so on.

Really good icon designers have no problems to find more remunerated projects than they could manage, and moreover for icon designers the current look of GNUstep doesn't look really exciting in my opinion, this point could explain the difficulty I encountered to find one who accepts to work for us.

That's why the contest. We need more publicity. And: all public projects - even government ones - use the practice of open competitive bidding or tender offers before giving the contract to someone. Otherwise a bad aftertaste might result: What if the contractor is a personal protege of the project leader. I am not saying that your designer is your pal for whom you'd like to provide some sort of easy money making - but the impression could arise. Even if the designer is saying: "I am not taking part in a competition" that is no good sign: if he/she is the best and it is under his/her level to take part in a competition why so? If you're so great you'll easily being the winner - if not you weren't so great obviously.

And: When we a starting something big with pomp and circumstance I tell you a lot more people are willing to take part (a lot more of that who denied when asked in private email) We only need the right appearance.

Quentin.

regards, Lars