Re: Objective-C - Smalltalk bridge

From: Marcel Weiher
Subject: Re: Objective-C - Smalltalk bridge
Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 12:09:04 +0100

On 21 May 2005, at 23:51, Nicolas Roard wrote:

What is Objective-Smalltalk? In a nutshell: a Smalltalk syntax for the Objective-C runtime + language semantics. So there are no proxies and no two runtimes that have to talk to each other. This allows Objective-ST to be very compact, currently only around 1.5 KLOC, with several hundred of those being the unit tests. That includes a basic compiler/interpreter (compiler for the syntax, 'interpreter' for running the returned Objective-C objects that represent a script/method) ready for integration. It is still early days, but good enough to use in some of my shipping products.

is it possible to play with it already ? else, any release planned soon ? and what licence do you think you will use ?

I find it quite playable, but haven't released anything yet. I do want to open it up as soon as possible, because one of Objective- Smalltalk's primary goal is to be adaptable for a wide variety of contexts, and the only way to do that is for people to use it in different contexts.

For example, awk's dispatch mechanism is really quite similar to OO dispatch, except that OO dispatches on a fixed string, whereas awk dispatches on a string pattern. I wouldn't want to add that to an OO language, but 'subclassing' the language for that specific circumstance sounds just fine...

Another part: stsh, a smalltalk shell, both for interactive and scripting use.

that's really interesting :-) -- now I want it :-D

:-D

With NSDecimalNumbers set as default number literals, stsh also makes for a fairly decent 'dc' replacement, at least for my modest needs.

I've wanted an OO shell for quite some time...and had it for a while when bbum created the WebScript shell. Very, very useful, but WebScript was closed source, only available with WO and then went away. In fact, that was one of the motivations for Objective- Smalltalk, except that on thinking about it, it didn't seem to make much sense to create an interpreter for Objective-C, when all that I was really interested in was the Objective- side.

Anyway, one direction I'd also like to see is stsh used as a true sh/ bash/csh/zsh/... replacement. This has also been on my mind for some time, and it really annoys me that MS now seems to have beat me to it:

     http://weblog.infoworld.com/udell/2004/11/02.html#a1106
http://dotnetjunkies.com/WebLog/stefandemetz/archive/ 2004/04/20/11794.aspx

However, I still think we can do a better job.

In the works: a gcc front end, though that is *quite* a struggle. Doing a JIT might be simpler... :-(

another question though, do you have a garbage collector ? Hm... I guess there's probably no GC, as in fact Objective-Smalltalk just
provides a different "syntax" to access the objc runtime ?

You guessed right:  SEP! :-)

Ah, and how tied is it to the NeXT runtime (apparently, it runs on OSX, not on GNUstep) ?

Not much at all. The ObjC -> ST method interfaces may require a bit of tweaking, but dispatch is currently handled via NSInvocation and should therefore port OK (though a move away from NSInvocation is desirable).

Regards,

Marcel