Re: Proposal: Subversion Migration

From: Wim Oudshoorn
Subject: Re: Proposal: Subversion Migration
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 17:52:41 +0200

In the context that my latest contribution to GNUstep is very old
my opinion hardly counts but:

1 - I don't think CVS is scaring people away, and I don't
    think changing version control system is going to attract more
    developers.

2 - Last time I looked, subversion did not keep track of merges,
    so trying to do multiple merges back and forth between
    branches is still a nightmare.

3 - Last time I looked, subversion was not great at operating
    in a disconnected distributed way.

4 - From what I heard, git's user interface is still a bit
    rough around the edges, and I am not sure how well
    git supports the Microsoft Windows platform
    or MacOSX.

5 - gnuarch has also a problem with supporting Microsoft Windows
    and the userinterface took some getting used to.

So I would not change CVS right now.  However, the burden
of the use of the version control system lies with the person
making the releases.  So his opinion should count most.

Finally, on a more personal note, for all my own projects I have
moved to monotone.  Also at work we are changing from CVS to monotone.
At the moment I like it a lot and can encourage people looking
for another version control system to take a look at it.

Wim Oudshoorn.

P.S.: The new GNUstep windows installer should be forthcoming.
      Tom created one today and we are testing it right now.
      So expect one tomorrow.