Re: Graphical Installers [was Re: OpenOffice.org on OS X and GNUstep]

From: Rogelio M. Serrano Jr.
Subject: Re: Graphical Installers [was Re: OpenOffice.org on OS X and GNUstep]
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 14:00:42 +0800

On 2005-11-18 11:52:53 +0800 Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
<lars.sonchocky-helldorf@hamburg.de> wrote:

Let me chime in here.

IHMO it is not so important whether an installer is a graphical one or not. I've seen brilliant command line based ones and broken-by-design graphical ones (and the other way around too)

A good installer makes it easy for an (possible novice) user to get a software installed on his/her system without ending up in a clueless state about something or in an unresolvable situation. The question here is: How to achieve that goal?

It is all about good guidance. That is:

- Ask the right questions (== ask the necessary questions in a right order) - make it possible to go some steps back (although the need for that should be avoided as far as possible by the above) - offer the possibility for expert choices at several points, but always offer a default/novice way to do things - avoid "GNUstep speech" (That is using terms where only "old GNUstep hands" understand what those mean) as far as possible. - explain, explain, explain (what is going on, what this or that choice means etc. in a short and to the point way)

How to get this implemented into a working and good installer?

Not just start coding away and work around problem later but:

- design the interaction flow first:
- get an idea about what is needed
- get an idea what can be answered/decided by the installer and which things need user interaction - get the questions which the user has to answer in a right and user comprehensible order

- then start to think about how to implement it
- command line based (works almost always)
- html based (should work mostly since webbrowsers are a commodity today) - graphical (needs some sort of graphical interface to be installed - no problem on Windows but what to use on Unix/Linux? KDE or GNOME are what we're going to replace, depending on their libs just for an installer is somewhat odd. TCL/TK? Has everyone installed that? the same questions as for KDE/GNOME arise) - mixed (start with command line and switch to something GNUstep GUI based for the last steps (Example: the OPENSTEP installer)

- implement it ;-)

I am thinking about moving this discussion into the wiki so that it becomes fruitful and doesn't pass away like those thousands of fruitless polemics here on the list do since an really good installer is something GNUstep needs badly to get more users (GNUstep installation is one of the toughest hurdles you've to take if you want to become a GNUstepper. I hope the most of you did not forget their challenging first "GNU"steps. We should make it a lot easier for the "following generations")

regards, Lars