Re: Clash of the Titans, GNUstep alongside GNOME

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: Clash of the Titans, GNUstep alongside GNOME
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 13:36:39 +0100

On 30. Nov 2005, at 08:01 Uhr, Sašo Kiselkov wrote:
Quoting Helge Hess <helge.hess@opengroupware.org>:
On 26. Nov 2005, at 18:16 Uhr, Nicolas Roard wrote:
- the feel -- more difficult; under windows you want menu-in-
windows, etc
Is it really such a big deal to resize the content-view of an
NSWindow and place the menu at the top? (really, I have no idea, but
this point sounds rather easy, no?)
It isn't, but there's lots of apps out there which exist as a menu- only when no windows are open, e.g. Project{Manager,Center}, Gorm, GNUMail, etc. Such a
concept doesn't really fit into the Windows world.

Very good point! I forgot about that.

I suppose the solution is to open a window on startup and to quite the app when all windows are closed. This should work well in practice but requires some custom handling for Windows inside the app unless something like NSDocument is used.

BTW: this is also something which annoys me about Ubuntu/GNOME, it has the Mac style top-menu (which is actually more like a dock) _and_ an additional menu per window. Thats completely confusing.

Greets,
  Helge
--
http://docs.opengroupware.org/Members/helge/