Re: Fucked up gnustep-make

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Fucked up gnustep-make
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 01:31:31 +0100 (CET)

> And to top it of, even though 'make --version' fails, the script is
> happily running along. Instead, it should complain about the non-GNU
> make(1) and quit.

Why would you want it to quit ?

The test will fail with some versions of GNU make too, in which case you don't
get the new

"This is gnustep-make 1.14.0. Type 'make print-gnustep-make-help' for help."

line printed any time you compile using gnustep-make.  But we survived for years
without that line, it's hardly an essential feature.

The code was written in such a way that even if the test would screw up badly
(as it did on your machine) the only bad consequence is that you wouldn't get
this new experimental/unstable feature (printing gnustep-make version and help
message) that was added yesterday.

So, the script did continue, which allowed you to use gnustep-make even if you
lost
the new feature.  I don't see why you'd have hoped for the script to quit, in
which
case your gnustep-make would have been unusable.

Thanks