Re: Objective-C 2.0 and other new features in Leopard

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Objective-C 2.0 and other new features in Leopard
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 07:14:07 +0000

On 12 Nov 2007, at 21:53, Fred Kiefer wrote:

Stefan Bidigaray wrote:
That reminds me of another point worth discussing... the defaults
system. What you're saying here is not simple to do exactly because the
user HAS to change the defaults themselves.  Take for example GTK+
settings, all a distribution have to do to get a new look is add the
file $SYS_CONFIG_DIR/gtk- 2.0/gtkrc. If the distributor, for whatever
reason, decides to change the standard theme all they have to do is
write a new file and replace the old one. Under GNUstep, on the other hand, there's no way around the fact that GNUstep doesn't offer a global configuration file. If a distributor wants a default set of settings, they have to come up with a way to write defaults to every user, while
at the same time making sure they don't override the user's own
defaults.  In my opinion, someone should be able to at least set
NSGlobalDomain setting under a global file.

I brought this up almost a year ago, and remember that the issue was
that NSUserDefaults wasn't set up to have more than 1 file and so would need to be rewritten. Since then, I've tried playing with it (seeing as I have to come up with something for my ScreenSaverDefaults class) and I'm trying to understand if better so that I can do something about this.

Yes, I also think about user defaults from time to time. Splitting them up into different files for example, so each application could ship with
a separate default setting. Having a multi level lookup also sounds
interesting, but will require a bit more thinking.

Actually, the current code (since about 18 months ... before the 1.13.0 release) already allows you to set up system-wide defaults by putting them in the GNUstep.conf file (and/or on a per-user basis by putting them in the user's GNUstep.conf file). However, the defaults added there are limited by the parsing rules of that file (which is sourced by /bin/sh and make) so you can occasionally have a situation where an app uses a default name which can't be configured that way. Removing that limitation by adding another file would be fairly easy, but would obviously have to wait for a new release ... however for apps which don't use spaces or other odd characters in their default keys, current and previous releases should work just fine.