Re: easiest way to start messing with gnustep again?

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: easiest way to start messing with gnustep again?
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 23:42:31 +0100

dan wrote:
> I would like to mess around with gnustep again.
>
> When i did it before (several years ago) there were daemons
> to start, lots of stuff to build, and so on, but it looks like
> now all i need is a debian system i just have to run
> apt-get to build everything?  (This from looking at
> http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/Platform:Linux.)
>
> Is the right approach to run it virtually (vmware or maybe
> some free equivalent)?
>
> What would be ideal would be whatever the modern
> equivalent of what simply gnustep was supposed to be,
> i think.
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice (including pointers
> to faqs, or projects --- i've looked around, e.g., at
> http://etoileos.com/, but i'm sort of uncertain and
> i'd like a common path to tread on first).
>
> My interest is in writing and rescuing some
> old, old applications.

Hi Dan,

not sure what to tell you. Running GNUstep in a VM is fine, I do that
for GNUstep on Windows and somewhere I also have an old virtual Ubuntu...

Etoile surely has a more modern look than GNUstep itself, but you can
change GNUstep's look easily via themes. Best you start of with just
GNUstep and then decide whether you want to add anything on top of that.

Start off with the packages and then move on to GNUstep from SVN and
report back any problems you encounter.

Fred