Re: help for packagers (was: Re: FOSDEM Aftermath - the Hotel / Notes fr

From: Stefan Bidigaray
Subject: Re: help for packagers (was: Re: FOSDEM Aftermath - the Hotel / Notes from preparing and giving my talk)
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 20:11:26 -0600

I can say that whenever I was generating the Slackware packages I didn't know the file existed.  Only after hitting my head against a wall for a few hours did I ask a question on the list and was pointed to it.  I generally follow the list and SVN changes but still didn't know about it.  I do believe that having it in the top level of -make should be enough to point most, if not all, packagers in the right direction.

With that in mind, I would like to point out that building GNUstep packages is still a pain.  If I remember correctly, in order to install the core packages into the SYSTEM domain I had to export GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN.  In my opinion, that is not at all intuitive.  I know why it had to be done this way (Windows) but that still doesn't mean I don't think it's bulky and unintuitive, specially since every other package out for *nix provides only a ./configure, make, make install mechanism.  Don't get me wrong, I hate the "we'll do it this way because that's how it's always been done" argument, but to this one GNUstep added an extra layer with no apparent advantage.

Stefan